20 July 2011

Army life at its best... and worst

So the last few weeks have been rough with the late nights hubby has had. A portion of his company is scheduled to deploy next month and they are working hard to prepare everyone for that. The day before yesterday was a bad day for me... Hubby hasn't been feeling the greatest and wanted to go to the doctor but as I tried to call for an appointment, we discovered that he really didn't have much time that he could go in. He was working hours that don't allow for family time or time to take care of himself. I was frustrated. I decided that I was done. If he wasn't appreciated, why should I step up and help those who weren't appreciating him? I would not get involved in the FRG (Family Readiness Group) during this deployment, I would not help or volunteer for anything.
After a very long night spent at the ER and then some very willing soldiers who stepped up and took over so that hubby didn't have to worry about his platoon yesterday, I had some thinking to do... My desire to help others is stronger than my frustration with some.
I have struggled with what direction to go in my career... After an FRG meeting/deployment briefing last night, I know that I am here to help others, to guide others and to listen to others. I have SO much pride in my husband and the life that we live. I am strong and my strength is more than I need... So, I will offer that strength to those who need it. After a Change of Command ceremony today in which our new company commander took her place in the company, a lot of thinking and some sleep... I am ready. I will work with the FRG this deployment. I will work with the company to better the family aspect of it. I will use my knowledge of this Army life that we lead to help other, newer or not as familiar spouses navigate this sometimes draining, many times frustrating, most of the time exciting and almost always rewarding life we have chosen. As so many of us families have learned to do... Embrace the suck! That is just what I will do! I will embrace it and run with it! After all, who's going to make things better if everyone gives up??

1 comment:

Armymom said...

haven't been here in ages.. I see you have updated!! :) now I await the pics! as promised in a post below... :) :)